DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

How do I tell if the personal exemption is showing up?

Hello. This is the first time I've used the H&R Block free efile system. In the past I've used a tax preparer. I was comparing last year's return to what my efile turned up and had one question. I see the personal exemption on my 1040 last year, which reduced my taxable income by $4000. 

As I was filling out my taxes on HRBlock.com, I noted when they gave me the $6300 standard deduction, but didn't come across anything confirming that the $4000 (or rather $4050 this year) exemption was applied, reducing my taxable income by $4050. 

Could someone let me know where I should look on the efile to confirm that the Personal Exemption was applied?

Thanks, 

Amy

Pioneer

Re: How do I tell if the personal exemption is showing up?

Nevermind, figured it out. 

Pioneer

How did you figure it out? I am having the same problem.
Valued Pioneer

Can you share how you figured this out? I am currently looking for the same thing.

Where were you able to find the personal exemption, i am unable to find it anywhere in the online tool.

Highlighted
Council Member

[ Edited ]

It'll show up on Line 42 of Form 1040. It'll be right below, or a couple lines below, the standard/itemized deduction amount on the shorter 1040A and 1040EZ.

It will be automatically added by the program so you won't be asked any questions about it (other than whether you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return when you first entered your personal information.  Be aware that for 2018 and following years the personal exemption was eliminated by the recent Dec tax law changes.

Karen