DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

ACC
Pioneer

How can I add the 8917 form in my income tax?

Hi I am trying to take the 8917 deduction for myself and the Credit Education Deduction for my daughter, however I am not able to download the 8917 form propertly because the program don't let me efile

Can somebody help me?? 

Client Support

Re: How can I add the 8917 form in my income tax?

If the program won't allow you to download the form you may just have to print and mail it in with your return. If you're still having issues, contact our Digital Team at 1-800-472-5625 option 2. They will be able to further assist you. Thank you for joining the Community, have a nice day!

-Misti

Pioneer

Why does the program direct you to Education form 8863 instead of 8917?  The 8917 appears to give much more $ advantage.

Tax Pro

Hi sgreen6816,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Form 8917, or rather the tuition & fees deductions, will only reduce your taxable income, not your tax liability.  If you can claim a tax credit (either the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit) your tax liability will be reduced dollar for dollar.  The AOC and the LLC are both claimed using Form 8863.  Reducing tax liability directly is almost always the more valuable option.  By claiming the tuition & fees deduction on Form 8917 you can reduce your taxable income by up to $4,000 and that will reduce your tax liability (what you owe) by perhaps $200 to $300.  By claiming the AOC or the LLC on Form 8863 you an reduce your tax liability directly by up to $2,000 with the LLC or $2,500 with the AOC.  The information you entered into the tax software is resulting the one of the tax credits actually being better for you and that's why it keeps directing you to Form 8863.

If you can provide me with your total income, the amount of your qualifying expenses (tuition, fees, textbooks), and the amount of your scholarships, grants, and other tax-free assistance, and if you could tell me if you are within your first four years of college, I will be able to tell you exactly which credit or deduction is your best option and provide you with a comparison for your situation and a thorough explanation.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)