DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

HR Block 2017 won't install

Just tried to install (multiple times) HR Block 2017 Deluxe+State.  Each time, I get an error: "Please use 'Start Here.exe' to install H&R Block tax software.   (Date Mismatch)"    I am using the 'Start Here.exe' program, I have tried it from the USB drive, from a copy of the USB drive on my hard drive and have done all the troubleshooting steps on the www.hrblock.com/support site.  Why won't the software install? 

I've used HR Block software since 2010 and never had an issue with installation or operation.  The last 3 years, I have used the same computer on which I'm now trying to install the 2017 version.  Please advise.

Walter

Valued Pioneer

Re: HR Block 2017 won't install

Found a solution to my issue this morning... right click on the 'Start Here.exe' program, then select "Troubleshoot Compatibility" and the tool suggested setting the program for Windows 8 compatibility.  I accepted the setting, clicked "Test Program" to proceed - and the installation worked successfully.  Is there known issue with any versions of Windows 10?

Pioneer

I found a solution from last year that worked when the 2017 version failed to run after installation in Windows 10.

Go to the directory under "Computer" for "This PC"

Over the words "This PC", copy, paste and search (click on the arrow at the end of the box) this:

%systemdrive%\users\%username%\appdata\roaming\taxcut

Delete the 2017 directory.  

Uninstall, restart and install again

After doing this the software started.

Valued Pioneer

Congratulations, while you apparently solved the issue, this is not an acceptable solution for the majority of customers that utilize HR Tax Software.  The general public wants to plug in the USB and click "start" ( or have the s/w auto-start).  Given the length of time Windows 10 has been out, mucking about for a compatibility solution or the directory or whatever is needed to make the stuff work, shows a gross negligence on the part of HRB software designers failure to verify and validate the most fundamental aspect of  the application.  IE. loading.

BTW, I had no issue loading the software last year on the same computer with the same OS.

One might be concerned with the quality of the actual application to accurately manage the computational nuances of the tax code.

HRB owes us a major apology, of course, after they fix this inferior product.

Valued Pioneer

The suggested solution did not work for me. 

So bad that you get charged right away before you install - if this is not fixed asap I will open up a credit card dispute.

Trusted Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I'm having same problem! I'm running Windows 7 - same computer I've used for several years with HR Block software.  Tried resolving compatibility issues - it suggested Windows XP sp2 - nothing is working so far.  Very frustrating.  This is not the first time that I have had problems installing the product using the CD (or in this case of this year, USB drive) I received from HR Block.  Why? Very frustrating.

Highlighted
Pioneer

I spent a highly frustrating hour last night experiencing the same issue. 

Did the Windows updates, ran in compatibility mode for Windows 8, ran as administrator, disabled anti-virus. The most frustrating thing is that I have a receipt which claims I can use to reinstall but when I go to the website it wants me to purchase again. There is no way to put in "I have already purchased" on the website. 

I guess if I did install through the web, I might still encounter the "Date Mismatch" issue. 

I'll be strongly considering going to their competitor's software. I've used the product for 10+ years and this is not acceptable. 

Trusted Pioneer

[ Edited ]

I tried again today - and IT FINALLY WORKED!

I don't know if it had to do with trying before or after 2018 actually began or whether the company fixed the problem. but, I'm very relieved.  I hope everyone else also has good luck with this now.

Happy new year everyone!

Associate (Pioneer)

Hello,

For everyone having issues installing the program, I recommend calling technical support at 1-800-HRBLOCK. Since every system is different, we often need to troubleshoot each individual install issue in order to resolve the problem and get the product installed for you.

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO
Pioneer

I bought this because I don't have the time to do my own taxes. I also don't have time to trouble shoot a poorly designed program that can't install on a completely up to date computer, nor do I have time to talk to a tech on the phone.

I recommend Block fixes this program before I dump it and go to TurboTax.