DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

H&R Block online filing question

Hello there,

Now that I have a missing document I wanted to return to my partially filled out 2016 tax preparation on the H&R Block website but it only presents me with a message asking me if I want to have an email sent to notify me when I can file my 2017 taxes. Nothing I click on is letting me return to my work.

Maybe I'm clicking on the wrong buttons.

Valued Pioneer

Re: H&R Block online filing question

Question was answered here:

Answer

Trusted Council Member

Hi Aradia,

Glad to see that you found the answer.  You're correct, the e-file period for 2016 returns has ended so you will need to print & mail your tax return.  You can prepare it with the downloadable software if you would like.

Pioneer

I checked the box for filing fees to be taken out of my return. Why does it seem like the took it from my bank account! I am now going to overdraft my account!!!!
Highlighted
Trusted Council Member

Hi Jessica15,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

I would call support at 1-800-HRBLOCK between 8am and 5pm CDT tomorrow and get them to check this out.  I can't give you an answer because like all of the tax professionals who volunteer at the community level I don't have access to the system but I can think of a couple of possibilities that I can think of as to what may have happened.

Assuming that you did in fact check the box for fees to be taken out of your refund, and that you have a refund due, it could be that it's not possible to do that yet because the filing season hasn't started yet.  You can't file a tax return until January 29th, and you won't get a refund until February 27th at the earliest if you claimed the earned income credit or the child tax credit.

If your return was showing tax due and you entered a checking account number that might also be the problem.

Then again it could have been a coincidence and it's actually something totally different that doesn't even have to do with H&R Block but that's probably the least likely one.

Again though I would definitely call support on this one as I previously suggested.

Also, a tip to try and save you some money, most banks won't charge you any overdraft fees if you can make a deposit on the same day as the overdraft before they close.  Paying through your refund would have cost $35 anyway, so if you can make a deposit before the end of the day tomorrow you'll actually save $35 that you would have spent.