DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

H&R Block has a bug: Amending Return leaves off Tax Penalty from original return

For various reasons i have had to amend several returns using H&R Block software.  The frustrating thing (that I FINALLY realized) is that there is a BUG in the program:  If you have a "penalty" on line 79 of your 1040, when you begin the 1040X process, the software automatically thinks you paid too much tax because it fails to take into account the penalty owed on line 79 of the 1040.  This took me a long time to figure out--combing through my return and trying to figure out why I was due a refund that made no sense.

So, H&R Block, please fix this oversight!  (Perhaps it is an oversight of the 1040X form the government made, but the software should surely at least take into account that penalty and alert us as to why it is not taken into account on the 1040X.)  Thanks.  Rant over.

Valued Pioneer

Re: H&R Block has a bug: Amending Return leaves off Tax Penalty from original return

The same thing happened to me.  After completing 1040X with the H&R Software it is saying I have a refund, but it is actually the penalty on Line 79.   

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: H&R Block has a bug: Amending Return leaves off Tax Penalty from original return

When creating a 1040X within the program, it will ask you to enter information from your original 1040. Make sure this information is entered as it is required for accurate calculations.

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO
Valued Pioneer

So, Form 1040X line 16 asks for Total amount paid with request for extension of time to file, tax paid with original return and addition tax paid after return was filed.

Which line on Form 1040 does this correspond to?

Is this Line 63 - your total tax or Line 78 - amount you owe (which includes line 79 estimated tax penalty).

I paid a penalty on line 79.

The H&R Block software is showing this to be the amount of the refund.

This is what is causing the confusion.

Perhaps the software should ask for the total amount on line 63.

Please advise.

Highlighted
Associate (Pioneer)

We will need to review the entries in the program for further troubleshooting. Please give us a call at 1-800-HRBLOCK or chat with us using the steps in the link below.

https://community.hrblock.com/t5/DIY-Products/How-can-I-access-chat/td-p/98774#.WtYC04jwZpg

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO