DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Trusted Pioneer

H&R Block DC Tax Software - Married Filing Separately - How to prepare both returns?

DC has a strange situation where nearly all married people should choose Married Filing Separately or Married Filing Separately on the Same Return. When I choose the Married Filing Separately, I'm then asked to prepare the return for my spouse or me. However, when I go back to do the other person, the previous return seems to disappear. Am I missing something? I would think I could use the software for two returns since we are Married Filing Jointly on the Federal Return. 

Basically, I'm curious if Married Filing Separately is better or worse than Married Filing Separately on the Same Return, but the software doesn't seem to keep both separate state returns for the former.