DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

H&R Block Business 2017 display problems

I have installed the H&R Block 2017 Premium & Business for Windows softare, and have updated it to the latest version.  The H&R Block 2017 works fine, windows display well.  The H&R Block Business 2017, however, does not display correctly in the top windows.  The radio buttons are not lined up with the text, and it is next to impossible to see which button goes to which line of text.  The whole form windows seem to display correctly, as do the popup boxes for Preferences.

I have the recommended display resolution set and the zoom set to medium 100%.  Changing the zoom level does not affect the top windows, only the whole form windows.  Changing the window size or location does not make any difference, either. 

I am running Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates, and default font settings. 

Is this a bug in the program, or can it be adjusted on my end?  It is very difficult to use the software with the lines all askew.

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: H&R Block Business 2017 display problems

Due to the complexity of this issue, please give us a call at 1-800-HRBLOCK so we can best assist you.

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO
Pioneer

I want to post the solution in case others have this problem.  The Windows 10 display setting was set to custom scaling.  I clicked on 'Turn off custom scaling and sign out', then signed back in.  The software windows now display correctly.  I do have 125% set for the scale size, and it works.  The custom setting did not.   

Neighbor

Thanks for that hint. I have decided to do my own this year and not go to the office. My hope is that it will import the depreciation items for my business and personal returns that were done in the office.

Associate (Pioneer)

Hello Julie,

If you have a pdf form of your 2016 taxes from an office it might import, but if you do not have a pdf form, it will not import from an office. 

Vanessa
Social Media Rep, Kansas City, Mo
Pioneer

Re: H&R Block Deluxe 2017 screen resolution problems

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem with Deluxe 2017 on a Windows 10 laptop.

My native resolution is 1920x1080, higher than the warning requiring 1024x768.

I had to turn "Custom Scaling" off and set "Scale and Layout" to 100% then logout/login.

I could use 125% (1920x1080) / 1.25 = (1536x864) which is greater than (1024x768)

I could not use 150% (1920x1080) / 1.50 = (1280x720) which is less than (1024x768)

FYI, the warning refers to "Section 9" instead of 10 in the README document... oops...

FYI, the README document just says to select a resolution higher than 1024x768 (which I already had) there was no mention of adjusting the scaling.

Valued Pioneer

Thanks you saved my life! After 3 calls to HR&Block they could not resolve this issue. Not just that, agents intentionally hung up the phone, 

Pretty bad customer service, I have been using HRB for so many years never had such issues in past with software or support .. what a shame :-(

However, now after Display Issue is fixed where text is now aligned to radio buttons. On full screen mode, only 1/3 of window has content bottom half is empty. Is there a fix to that ??(Tried to attach screen shot nit sure if has been uploaded though)

Valued Pioneer

nevermind, it seems this is how the business software, bottom window shows the form being filled real time .. Actually, I kindda like it ..