DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Getting Penalized for Months I was Insured

[ Edited ]

Using the website:

I was insured until September 2017. However, after selecting the "partially covered" option and filling out the rest of the questions, I did not receive any opportunities to select the months I was insured, and at the end of the ACA section, I am being told that I am being penalized as though I was not insured for all 12 months.

How can I indicate what months I was insured so that I do not get penalized for them?

Tax Pro

Re: Getting Penalized for Months I was Insured

Hi citizen1,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

If you're using the online software there will be a screen that will come up after you've answered all of the health insurance questions in the interview.  It shows a list of everyone in your tax family and has a little box that says "edit" on it in green letters on the line next to their name.  When you click on that box it will let you check off all of the months that you had insurance.

There are plenty of exemptions from the penalty available, so I may be able to help you avoid the penalty for the months you weren't insured.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Thank you for the quick reply.

I went through the health insurance interview section, all the way to the part where the wrap up section starts. The only page where I saw my name listed was the penalty summary at the end of the health insurance interview ("Your 2017 penalty is $XXX"), and there were no editing options available on that page.

My household is just me (1 person), so maybe the website will not show me a page with the editable list of tax family members?

Please let me know if I can send you any screenshots that would be helpful.

Thank you for working with me on this!

same thing is happning to me also,,,its only me in household and cant put in what months i had insuance,,, and i am usig free version

Tax Pro

citizen1,

You're quite welcome.

Here are the exact steps for you to follow starting at the first health insurance question in the interview:

1. Answer the question "Did you have health insurance in 2017?" with "Yes, but only part of 2017.".
  2. Click "next".
  3. Answer the question, "Did you buy your plan through healthcare.gov?".  If you answer yes you'll be prompted to enter your 1095-A information later on.
  4. Click "next".
  5. Answer the question, "Did everyone in your household have health insurance all year long?" with "Neither applies - my household was partially covered in 2017.".
  6. Click "next".
  7. Tell the software what type of health insurance coverage you had while you were covered during 2017.
  8. Click "next".
  9. Click "next" again.
  10. Answer the question about non-dependents "no" unless you have a child whose exemption you allowed your ex-spouse (the non-custodial parent) to claim.
  11. Click "next".
  12. Answer both of the questions about marketplace exemptions "no" unless you have a marketplace exemption certificate or a pending marketplace exemption.
  13. Click "next".
  14. You are now at the summary screen.  Click on the word "edit" which is shown in green letters on the same line as your name.
  15. Check off all of the months for which you had coverage.
  16. Answer the questions about November & December of the previous year.  You must have had coverage or claimed an exemption other than the short-term coverage gap exemption for those two months in order to use the short-term coverage gap for January & February.
  17. Click "next".
  18. You're back on the summary screen.  Click "next" and you're all done!

If you're at the wrap-up section of the interview then here's how you can back-up and correct your health insurance section:

1. Click on "taxes" at the top of the screen.
  2. On the box that says "Affordable Care Act" click on the word "re-visit".  It will be in green letters next to the title "Affordable Care Act (ACA) (Forms 1095-A, 8962, and 8965)" which is black and in bold.
  3. Follow steps 1 through 18 above.

If you have any further issues with this please let me know.

Louis

Tax Pro

Hi ljrjess69,

I've written out a procedure to make this easier for you.  Here are the exact steps for you to follow starting at the first health insurance question in the interview:

1. Answer the question "Did you have health insurance in 2017?" with "Yes, but only part of 2017.".
  2. Click "next".
  3. Answer the question, "Did you buy your plan through healthcare.gov?".  If you answer yes you'll be prompted to enter your 1095-A information later on.
  4. Click "next".
  5. Answer the question, "Did everyone in your household have health insurance all year long?" with "Neither applies - my household was partially covered in 2017.".
  6. Click "next".
  7. Tell the software what type of health insurance coverage you had while you were covered during 2017.
  8. Click "next".
  9. Click "next" again.
  10. Answer the question about non-dependents "no" unless you have a child whose exemption you allowed your ex-spouse (the non-custodial parent) to claim.
  11. Click "next".
  12. Answer both of the questions about marketplace exemptions "no" unless you have a marketplace exemption certificate or a pending marketplace exemption.
  13. Click "next".
  14. You are now at the summary screen.  Click on the word "edit" which is shown in green letters on the same line as your name.
  15. Check off all of the months for which you had coverage.
  16. Answer the questions about November & December of the previous year.  You must have had coverage or claimed an exemption other than the short-term coverage gap exemption for those two months in order to use the short-term coverage gap for January & February.
  17. Click "next".
  18. You're back on the summary screen.  Click "next" and you're all done!

If you're at the wrap-up section of the interview then here's how you can back-up and correct your health insurance section:

1. Click on "taxes" at the top of the screen.
  2. On the box that says "Affordable Care Act" click on the word "re-visit".  It will be in green letters next to the title "Affordable Care Act (ACA) (Forms 1095-A, 8962, and 8965)" which is black and in bold.
  3. Follow steps 1 through 18 above.

If you have any further issues with this please let me know.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

im fine till after step 12,,,

how do i insert a screen shot/picture of the screen im getting? 

Tax Pro

Hi ljrjess69,

I'm actually not sure how to insert a screen shot.  Can you describe what you're seeing after step 12?

Pioneer

Hi there!

I am also fine until after step 12. I thought I could use the "insert/edit image" button in this text editor to upload screenshots, but apparently that button does not work. I uploaded some screenshots to imgur instead, linked below.

Here are the screens I am seeing after the question about marketplace exemptions (step 12), in the exact order I am seeing them:

1) "You can claim an exemption for any month you couldn't afford insurance in 2017"

https://i.imgur.com/p4OR5p9.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/p4OR5p9.png

2) "Based on what you told us, we don't know if you qualify for the affordability exemption."

https://i.imgur.com/cIG39id.png

3) "Your current shared responsibility payment is $XXXX." , with an option at the bottom asking if I would like to apply for any exemptions:

https://i.imgur.com/rIPNN1S.png

I am not eligible for any exemptions, so I select "No."

4) "Your 2017 penalty is $XXXX."

https://i.imgur.com/DwS5W7P.png

No edit button available here.

5) "Here are your 2017 ACA results."

https://i.imgur.com/Ykdy5PO.png

6) "Your Additional Taxes, Penalties and Payments" (end of section):

https://i.imgur.com/5vGR754.png

I did not see a screen with an edit option next to my name, but please let me know if my eyes are fooling me Smiley Happy

Also, let me know if you are unable to see any of the screenshots.

Thank you!

Tax Pro

I just ran another scenario and it did the same thing to me.  Eventually I got the screen that lets you edit your month of coverage to come up by going back through the taxes section after I reached the wrap-up section.  I'm running another scenario now to figure out what you need to do after step 12 to get to the right screen.  It definitely looks like this is a glitch in the software.