DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Accepted Solution

Get issue-error message that rental information is incomplete but it is COMPLETE

I'm using the premium version of H&R online, and get through the Federal return questions, but at the end get the following Issue:

Your rental information is incomplete. Either review your rental activity and complete all the required information, or delete the rental activity from your return.

I've gone back to the rental real estate and royalties section over 10 times and there's no missing information - everything's been completely filled out. I've also gone over all of the other sections multiple times and everything is completely filled out - I've also looked for rows in any sections that were blank and deleted them. Every time I get close to filing, I still get this same message and it won't let me e-file until the issue is resolved. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Re: Get issue-error message that rental information is incomplete but it is COMPLETE

I'm having the exact same problem, .... now trying to figure out how to do an extension since I can't efile because of this problem, and can't seem to find the extension option either.

I thought I was just about done filing at 8:15 pm last night but instead have been working on this for another 6 hours, mainly flipping through my Schedule E dozens of times trying to find the supposed "incomplete" aspect.

Please help me end this nightmare, anyone!

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: Get issue-error message that rental information is incomplete but it is COMPLETE

Hi tinat2 - 

Welcome to the H&R Block Community! 

Please follow the steps below to clear the error and complete your return: 

1. Click on the Federal tab. 
  2. Select Go to the beginning of my return and click Next. 
  3. Click on Income at the top of the screen. 
  4. Click on Revisit next to Real estate you own and rent to others, or royalties. 
  5. Click Edit next to the rental. 
  6. Click Revisit next to Average lease seven days or less, which is found under Miscellaneous Items. 
  7. Click Next until you reach the page titled Do either of these apply to your rental property? 
  8. Uncheck the box next to My average lease was seven days or less, and click Next. 
  9. Click Income at the top of the screen. 
  10. Click Revisit next to Real estate you own and rent to others, or royalties. 
  11. Click Edit next to the rental. 
  12. Click Revisit next to Active Participation under Special Situations. 
  13. On the Did you actively participate in 2016 page, select No and click Next. 
  14. Click on Income at the top of the screen. 
  15. Click Revisit next to Real estate you own and rent to others, or royalties. 
  16. Click Edit next to the rental. 
  17. Click Revisit next to Average lease seven days or less, which is found under Miscellaneous Items. 
  18. Click Next until you reach the page titled Do either of these apply to your rental property? 
  19. Check the box next to My average lease was seven days or less, select Yes, and click Next. 
  20. Click the Federal tab at the top of screen. 
  21. Select Check my return for errors, then file it, and then click Next. 

If you need assistance, please contact our online Product Support team at 1-855-987-8639, or chat with us by following the steps below: 

1. Log into your online account.
  2. Click Help Center at the top of the screen.
  3. Type Help in the Search Box at the bottom of the new window.
  4. Press Enter.
  5. Click Get additional Help at the bottom of the search results.
  6. Click the green Chat Now button under the support needed.

Thanks,

Rachael 

H&R Block Associate 

Highlighted

This has been a recurring issue, primarily with AirBNB rentals (because of their short-term nature).  Edit your rental.  At the summary screen, scroll down to where it says "Active Participation".  Click "Revisit" there, and it should take you to a page with an unanswered question.  This screen is skipped when there is material participation and short term rentals, but the program still requires an entry there.

Thank you, using the detailed steps you posted worked it out and I was able to file! I greatly appreciate you providing this answer! 

Associate (Pioneer)

Woot woot! 

That's what we like to hear! 

Thank you for your feedback on this resolution. 

-Rachael 

H&R Block Associate 

Pioneer

similar problem: Accuracy Review flags a Schedule E error, which prevents e-filing.

The cause might be a K-1 with a negative # on line 2: net rental real estate loss.

I went back to the K-1 and zeroed out the entry for that line.  Upon re-running Accuracy Review, it shows 0 issues.

BUT when I go back to the e-file sequence, it says "Fix Your E-file Errors" and now shows 3 issues when I click on Display List.

I also tried to delete Schedule E - that didn't work either.

Suggestions?  btw this is with Deluxe version, downloaded and updated.