DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Form 8949 errors

I'm using "Premium" software for first time but there appears to be error(s) in form 8949 using 1099-B imported data. 

(1) there are 3 "copies" but copy # 3 is empty.

(2) on copy # 1 box 'D' is checked but only 1 of 2 entries shown shd appear here (second entry shd be 'E' as shown on 1099-B)

(3) on copy # 2 box 'E' is checked but:  entries shown agree with 1099-B but 3 other entries which shd appear do not

All error items originated from Vanguard.

Filing deadline is fast approaching; since this is only item needing correction before filing HURRY !!  Thanx.

Bewildered Bob

Council Member

Re: Form 8949 errors

Can you edit the information that was imported to correct it? I'd compare the information to the digital or paper copy of the 1099-B you received from Vanguard. If not, you may need to delete the info that the program imported and enter the information manually.

Karen

Pioneer

Hi Karen: Thanx for the quick reply. Altho' my name is 'RBloch" i'm a newbie to HRB's tax prep software so didn't want to risk losing what had already been imported and having to re-enter ALL sales data.  But i "bit the bullet" and (as you suggested) manually re-entered only major item that was missing from 8948 (which now looks pretty good - not perfect but much better).

There is some confusion in the term "COPY" which apparently has several different uses (sometimes on same screen) in the Premium pkg. Have you deciphered the code abt which "copy" refers to which interview or data item ?  If so plz share with me. Thanx.

Bewildered Bob

Palm Bay, FL

ps: can you compare HRB software with TurboTax (user access, making changes, bottom line, etc.) ??

Council Member

I've replied in blue text below...

Karen 

@rbloch wrote:

Hi Karen: Thanx for the quick reply. Altho' my name is 'RBloch" i'm a newbie to HRB's tax prep software so didn't want to risk losing what had already been imported and having to re-enter ALL sales data.  But i "bit the bullet" and (as you suggested) manually re-entered only major item that was missing from 8948 (which now looks pretty good - not perfect but much better).

There is some confusion in the term "COPY" which apparently has several different uses (sometimes on same screen) in the Premium pkg. Have you deciphered the code abt which "copy" refers to which interview or data item ?  If so plz share with me. Thanx.  I've only noticed the Copy term used in the desktop version when looking at the forms view.  It's quite possible though that it just didn't register with me because I've been doing my taxes long enough to know what I'm looking for and what to put where.  In the forms view, you're going to have Copies of forms when there needs to be more than one filled out.  For example, in the case of entering W-2s for you and your spouse.  If you enter your W-2 info first, your W-2 info will be on Copy 1, your spouse's W-2 will be Copy 2. Likewise for documents like retirement income reported on Form 1099-R and brokerage info reported on 1099-B.  It's not uncommon for a taxpayer to need to enter info from more than one of each type of documents, so the program makes a Copy of the form for each one.  In the case of the ACA calculations and the Self Employed Health Insurance Deduction (SEHI) which is an iterative process, you'll see multiple copies of the form that it does it's calculations on-- one for each iteration, so that the record of how the calculations were made isn't overwritten and lost.

If you can direct me to a specific screen(s) you have a question about I might be able to shed some light on it, if my explanation above doesn't hit the mark.

Bewildered Bob

Palm Bay, FL

ps: can you compare HRB software with TurboTax (user access, making changes, bottom line, etc.) ??

I think that your bottom line is going to be the same with both software packages-- it SHOULD be at least since they should both be calculating your tax according to the same tax code.  As far as user access, making changes, etc., it's been a few years since I used TurboTax so things could have changed, but at the time I switched I did so because H&R Block was significantly cheaper (and still is especially for me since I need the Premium and the Business software).  What I noticed is that TurboTax's interviews seem much easier to follow if you're new to doing taxes and don't know what you're doing.  It seems that H&R Block's software expects a certain level of knowledge in order to get things right if you have anything the least bit out of the ordinary.  If you have a basic return, a couple W-2s, maybe some interest and dividend income and itemized deductions, they're pretty comparable, although, TurboTax seemed to offer more guidance about what qualified as an itemized deduction.  

I recommend that anyone who's doing their own taxes take the time to get the instructions for the forms in their return and try to understand what's happening "behind the scenes" of any tax program they use.  Knowing why any tax program is asking the questions it is makes answering them correctly a LOT easier. The instructions for any IRS form are easily found online by searching for "IRS Form ____ instructions" or by searching for "IRS Form _____" since sometimes the instructions are on the form. I also find that the .pdf versions that will come up in the search are usually better than the non-.pdf versions if you can view them.  Looking at your tax return after you've entered your information and before you submit it is also an excellent learning opportunity.  Try to see where the income from your different sources ends up being reported on your form, and if it's not obvious why, take the time to find out. The instructions for almost all of the forms you'll find included with your tax return will have line-by-line information about what should be included on that line, and sometimes there will be examples.