DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Form 5405 for joint filer

Have been repaying the 2008 home buyer's tax credit since 2010, however we sold the house in 2015 and made no gain on the sale.  Therefore, we do not have to repay the remaining credit.  The issue I'm having is I e-filed my return and it was rejected saying I need to include my spouse's repayment information and I could fix this by doing the interview again.  I did this, and no answers needed to be changed, I had put that we received and were repaying the return jointly.  I believe the problem is that on the actual form, although it states it is a joint filing it only has my name and social security number and no place to put my spouse's name and social.  How do I fix this?  Do I create a new copy of the form 5405 for my spouse and put his half of the repayment figures?  If I do this, we would be submitting 2 form 5405s.  Sorry so long!

Tax Pro

Re: Form 5405 for joint filer

Hi olliedog,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You only need to submit one Form 5405.  I'll be glad to help you figure this out in the software.

Please watch for a private message from me.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

LoiusH - I am also having this issue and HRBlock CHAT is not helpful. Can you please PM me the fix?

I am on my last electronic submission as I have been rejected 4 times, so I hope I can resolve this prior to my last submission.

Please help as I want to get my taxes complete.

Thanks in advance.

Pioneer

LoiusH - I am also having the exact same issue - efile Federal return rejected, they are asking for spouse's information on form 5405 (Homebuyer Credit Repayment).  On the interview screen when it asks "Who claimed the credit that's being repaid", I've checked "We claimed it together on a joint return", however only my name and SSN appear when I look at the actual form.  The only way I can get my spouse's information to display on the form is selecting only her name, which removes my information.  Seems like a bug in the program to me.  Any assistance so I can get this resubmitted and accepted would be appreciated.

Pioneer

I usually don't reply to my posts, but wanted to share more info in case someone finds it helpful.

I looked up the instructions for filling out Form 5405, and found this line:  "Each spouse who meets condition 1
or 2 under Who Must File must file a separate Form 5405."  The H&R Block program only created one form with my information, even though I told the interview questions we claimed it together on a joint return.

I played with the program a bit, and managed to make a copy of the form (click on Show Form and then Whole Form). After getting a second copy, I was able to click back and/or next a handful of times and select different options on for the  "Who claimed the credit that's being repaid?" question. Eventually I was able to get one copy of the form with my name/SSN at the top and another for my spouse (sorry I don't have a full step by step breakdown here).  I entered identical numbers to the questions, so both forms have values identical to the original one.

After doing this I resubmitted my federal efile, which was approved within a couple hours.

Highlighted
Pioneer

This bug remained in the 2016 software.

After receiving the efile error I figured it was just a bug in the system, printed my return, and mailed it.

Two months later I received a noticed from the IRS that I had payment due of $250. After an hour on the phone with the IRS and looking at my transcripts the IRS added back the $250 for my spouse, even though I had filed the 5405 provided by HR Block software.

That first person I talked to escalated the problem, and now I have received another letter from the IRS saying I need to file a 1040x and a 5405!

Digging deeper into the 5405 instructions I found the same thing mentioned above - in situations like this the IRS expects two copies of 5405, one for each spouse, and HR Block only provides one.

I now have a major headache of filing a 1040x for my already complex 2016 taxes.

Is there ANYTHING that can be done here, since this was HR Block software's error in providing inadequate forms?