DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Re: Foreign Earned Income Exclusion

Not sure if this is helpful, but I just did as you suggested by adding the foreign income as not reported on W2, claimed the exception on form 2555 (where I also added my interest and cap gains on the addtl. income not yet listed). Then I suddenly had a balance due. I took a look at my return - which required me to just about file it - and noticed I got an ACA penalty of 2k added.  So I went back to that form, applied for the exception of living abroad and then the penalty was gone and my balance back to zero.

Now I just need to figure out how to fix the negative income, I think I need to add schedule D and B, which then the income will be wiped out with the credit. What a pain for sources of income that are not taxable in the states per the treaty anyway.   

Pioneer

and on a final note - I didn't like how I can only add one family member on 2555, made me feel like the balance due was because of that. A look at the 1040 would have fixed that suspicion immediately, but that's not available until you file the return.

Pioneer

This is my very first time with tax software.

My husband has always done our taxes by hand.  He is not able this year.

Was wrestling with the foreign earned income exclusion "bug" til 2 am.

Am working with the online version.

When I get through all the questions and fields to fill in a 2555, H&RB just starts with another 2555.  

No explanations.
If I try to phone the help phone from France, I get a recording from the French fire department.

I am almost ready to chalk off the hours spent on H&RB and start over with TurboTax. 

Pioneer

Derek, 

I am having the exact same issue. Were you able to resolve it? 

Jill 

Pioneer

Finally got the thing submitted after combining all the above advice and fiddling with the forms. I ended up deleting all the forms, just adding the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555), but leaving the first box blank and only putting my income in services provided box, and deleting any mileage deductions or any other field which increased the deduction claim. I am really unimpressed with H&R Block's system - I expected more from them. I had tried to complete with TaxSlayer which is much more straightforward but they were trying to charge me $22 to do the "free file" - don't understand what is up with these systems but the tax return was accepted, so I am done now. 

Hope you guys have better luck!