DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-16-2018

File a Federal Extension Using an Existing 2017 Tax Return File

I have spent many hours completing a complicated Federal return.  I found out today one K-1 will be reissued and I need to extend the existing return.  How can I do this and not 'start over'?


I know I can file an extension under a new file name, but then I will need to re-enter all the information in order to tie the return to the extension.  If I do not tie the return to the extension, I believe the software will not recognize or calculate any failure to pay penalties if any additional tax is due when the return is ultimately filed post 4/17/18.