DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Federal/State update problem

I am having issues with H&R Block 2015 (+efile +state).

I have inputted all data required for the federal return, when I click on 'prepare state', a popup says that I must update the federal program before I open ;H&R Block State'.

When I attempt to update the software from the program, I receive an error that says 'Cannot Connect to Server'. (see link to screenshot).

OK, there is also a link to the update center where you can download directly. I downloaded the federal update that was available (B), and applied it.

Then I went back to the 'prepare state' button, and I still get the popup that says I need to update before I can open the state section. I tried to update from within the program again, I still get 'Cannot connect to server' error.

I am stuck, I can't open the state section, I can't update from the program, there are no newer updates at the HRBlock update center.

This is not a connection problem, I have done a packet capture using wireshark. The HR Block software is using HTTP to request the update, there is an HTTP GET request sent to version.taxcut.com (aka a1521.g.akamai.net, or my case 184.25.56.210). The request is:

GET /updates/2015/win/us/6101/xver.txt HTTP/1.1
Range: bytes=0
User-Agent: HRBlockSWM WDDO 002015
Host: version.taxcut.com
Accept: */*

The HTTP reply is 200-OK, with a text message that says "Our next update will be available February 19, 2016'.

After that there is an HHTP GET to attempt to update the Oregon state program section, that request gets a '404 File not found' reply.

State request is:

GET /updates/2015/win/or/4501/ver.txt HTTP/1.1
Range: bytes=0
User-Agent: HRBlockSWM WDDO 002015
Host: version.taxcut.com
Accept: */*

.https://goo.gl/photos/xPQUhGz2WVHQAijq6

hrb-update error

What are my options to fix this?

Reinstall did not help either.

I am not happy with this turn of events, this is the worst problem I have seen using HRBlock/Taxcut over more than 10 years.

Tax Pro

Re: Federal/State update problem

Hi Iclark,

Welcome to the community.

I do hope you were able to fix this but if not please give client services a call at 1-800-HRBLOCK and they will be able to assist you.

Pioneer

I am having the same problems.  Federal update will supposedly update and then when I click next, it says I need to update again.  Tried updating from the H&R Block website, didn't work.  Looked at firewalls, antivirus software and all other tips that have been given.  Nothing seems to work.  Then, at the end of each of the many different posts that have this problem is an H&R Block representative saying, I hope you fixed your problem if not call ######.  Everytime I call the number, it says heavy call volumes and hangs up on me.  Very frustrating.  Just post what the fix is and don't repeat the usual from above because it doesn't work.

Pioneer

I'm having an identical issue to mpett.  I'm ready to submit my Federal taxes.  I click submit, it connects then it comes back and states "You need to update this program before you can e-File."

Also, I updated the program when I first opened the program today.  And, it will let me update it again and again.  I wen t to the website and downloaded the update - same issue.  Firewalls and Anti-virus off, same issue.

I'm never getting a notice that the program isn't updating, so I'm not sure what to od.

I am on Windows 7.

I've been using this program for the past 4 years, on this same computer, without a probelm.

I've tried to call in but it says the call volume is too heavy to accept the call and it disconnects me.  I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Pioneer

I am having the same exactly issue on Windows 10. No resolution but wanted to document the occurrences of this issue. 

Pioneer

Same issue, cannot connect to server.  Disabled firewalls, etc.  Windows 7.  Also cannot download state, and update is not available for IN.

Highlighted
Pioneer

Same problem here using OS X 10.12