DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

E-file attachment to Form 8606?

Can H&R Block 2015 Basic e-file both (1) attachment to Form 8606, and (2) Form 8606 itself?

TurboTax can. H&R Block 2012 and earlier couldn't.

Valued Pioneer

Re: E-file attachment to Form 8606?

According to H&R Block Support, the answer is no. As in years past, H&R Block 2015 cannot e-file the attachment to Form 8606. Therefore, the entire tax return, including the attachment to Form 8606, must be printed and filed using regular mail.

I had used the H&R Block program for many years, going back to when it was called TaxCut. I always had this problem of not being able to e-file. I thought the reason was that the IRS wouldn't accept e-filing the attachment.

Several years ago, I learned that TurboTax could e-file the Form 8606 attachment. The problem wasn't the IRS, it was H&R Block. So, I switched to TurboTax.

If TurboTax can do it, H&R Block should be able also.

If H&R Block ever adds this capability, I would come back as a customer. Until then, I have to buy TurboTax in order to e-file.

Pioneer

Do you have to print and file the entire return? What a pain!

Tax Pro

Hi nsomer2001,

Yes, you will need to print and e-file the entire return in order to file the attachment.

Welcome to the community & please ask if you have any other questions.

Pioneer

How can you e-file a printed return? I specifically bought H&R block for the 10% refund bonus. But if I file by mail, I don't get it. Why can't we attach a simple PDF or just have a box where we can enter an explanatory note?

Tax Pro

Hi mervinj7,

Please give client services a call at 1-800-HRBLOCK and let them know about your situation.  They will be able to assist you with this.  Also, please note that you can either e-file or mail your return, not both.

Valued Pioneer

Some Attachments CAN be mailed in after you eFile!!

It won't work for Form 8606, but it does work for others!

IRS Form 8453 is the form to use.....it's sole purpose is to be a cover sheet for attachments to your return.  But you are able to efile your return with your software and then, within 3 days of acceptance by the IRS, you must mail your Form 8453 with attachments!

Keep in mind that Form 8453 can only be used for attachments to specific forms, such as 1098-C, 8849, and others.  Download the form online and see if you are able to use it.

Other software companies do have the ability to attach documents to efiled returns....hopefully H&R Block will improve their software next year!

Valued Pioneer

According to H&R Block Support, the answer is again no for the new H&R Block 2016 program. It cannot e-file the attachment to Form 8606. Therefore, the entire tax return, including the attachment to Form 8606, must be printed and filed using regular mail.

Pioneer

I will be switching over to Turbo Tax!  As the rest of my family will too.  Ugh.

Pioneer

Don't be so fast to go to Turbo Tax. I not only can't print Form 8606, I cannot view it either.  I tried calling Turbo Tax for help but they changed their accessibility and I cannot bypass the computer "voice guard".  That is why I am here.  I was planning on purchasing H&R Block and solve my problem.  I guess that being able to mail the report is better than what I can do with the Turbo Tax software.  After all these years, i DON'T BELIEVE IT!!!