DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

Downgrade from Basic to Free

[ Edited ]

Hello. I am working on my taxes and was about to finish filing when I accidently clicked the Basic. I want to file free. How do I change it back?

Thanks!

Pioneer

Re: I clicked to pay for basic in error, how do I get it back to free?

How can. Change from premium to basic? I clicked the wrong one

Trusted Pioneer

you have to call the company and they will fix it -i did the same thing only i hit deluxe and tried for a few hours to fix it, got p.o. and call HR bock and the corrected it- good luck to you

Associate (Council Member)

Re: FREE TO BASICS

khend025,

Welcome to the Community. I don't have access to client accounts so I'm not able to change the program for you. As I mentioned above you might try calling our client support team to assist. They can be reached at 1-800-HRBLOCK (1-800-472-5625).

If you haven't filed you can also just start over with a new account in the Free product depending on how much information you have to enter.

JerryG
Community Manager

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!
Pioneer

basic to Free

How do I change from Basic to the Free version. I dont want to pay to have my taxes done.

Pioneer

Re: how do I switch from basic edition to the free edition?

How do i switch from Basic edition to the Free edition? Do I HAVE to call the hotline number?

Pioneer

Re: how do I switch from basic edition to the free edition?

You can not.  I found you have to make a whole new account.  If your account gets upgraded, say last year you wanted basic, this year you have to stay there.  You will need to start a new account with them.

Valued Pioneer

Re: FREE TO BASICS

Use the "Chat" function or Call to have them switch back from Basic to Free.

I used the Basic version last year because of some additional forms that I needed, but my tax this year is easier. There is no easy 'button' to switch back, but click "Help Center" -> expand "Preparing My Taxes" -> expand "Changing My Current Product" -> click "How do I Downgrade". 

It will then give you an option to chat with H&R customer support, who can then downgrade you back to "Free". 

You will have to fill out the whole tax form again if you downgrade.  

Valued Pioneer

Use the "Chat" function or Call to have them switch back from Basic to Free.

There is no easy 'button' to switch back. However, click "Help Center" -> expand "Preparing My Taxes" -> expand "Changing My Current Product" -> click "How do I Downgrade".  It will then give you an option to chat with H&R customer support, who can then downgrade you back to "Free". Did this yesterday, took them a minute to downgrade back to free.

*You will have to fill out the whole tax form again if you downgrade.  

Pioneer

Re: Downgrade from Basic to Free

WARNING...Downgrading will erase all the information entered and you have to start again. 
If that is Ok then call Customer Service/ Chat and get downgraded.

SECOND OPTION: Call Customer service/Chat and tell them that you DON'T want to loose the information entered. So would make the payment but HR Block would need to refund it back. They will process and will say it will take 3 to 10 business days to refund the money. Get the Case # of the ticket for your own records. Cheers !!!