DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Trusted Pioneer

Deluxe vs. Premium 2016

For 2015 I used the Deluxe version of the H&R Block software and have rental property for which it worked well.  Can I continue using the Deluxe version or switch to Premium?

Tax Pro

Re: Deluxe vs. Premium 2016

Hi dsfcom,

You can use Deluxe.  Premium is better equipped to handle all types of rentals and small businesses, but the Deluxe version works for simple small business and rental returns (Schedule C and Schedule E).

Have a great Christmas.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Hi, I also have a rental property and I am very comfortable with Schedule E.  Do you know if the Deluxe version calculates depreciation of different types through a questionnaire, or would I need to calculate that and input the number?  Thanks, L.

Tax Pro

Hi leisurologist,

Welcome to the community.

If you have more complicated things on your tax return, such as depreciation, then the premium software is what you'll want to get.  You don't need premium + business, just premium.

The premium version will calculate and enter depreciation and other more complex deductions for you.

Premium is recommended for rentals, however the deluxe version is supposed to be able to handle simple business/rental returns.

I hope this helps you out.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Thank you Louis

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.