DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Contract labor

Hi,

I issued 4 1099-MISC to contractors this year. I am trying to find where to put them on the HR-Block online filling. I have the premium and when I enter my buissness deduction on the schedule-C there is no spot for contract labor like previous years. Where do I put them? I was going to put them under other buissness expenses but I wasnt sure if that will transfer to the correct place on the schedule-c

Tax Pro

Re: Contract labor

Hi ohio16,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You are correct that contrat labor is a business expense.  However, since there is no specific place for it on the Schedule C in the H&R Block software you can use the next closest thing.  If there's a place for "labor" or "payroll" expenses use one of those.

If you can't find anything close to "contract labor" then you can list the expense in the "other" expenses section and appropriately label it as contract labor.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

I felt like I have searched thoroughly, and have not found "contracted labor." It seems a little vague to just report it generally

Associate (Pioneer)

Dear delara1:

There is a line 11 marked "Contract Labor" in Part II of Schedule C (Expenses).  That's where the expense should be entered.

Hope this is helpful.

SimonT

(Tax Advisor)

Tax Pro

Hi dalara1,

SimonT is correct that Line 11 on a printed Schedule C is for contract labor.  However, the H&R Block software does not give you that option if you're using deluxe, but if you're using premium and completing a long form Schedule C then it should.  But if you don't see the option for contract labor then entering it as an "other expense" is allowed.  You can write in on the "other" expense line that it's contract labor and I believe the software will let you do that as well.  I know the software doesn't give you every single option for expenses so that's why I suggested entering this as an "other" expense.

Louis

Associate (Pioneer)

Dear dalara1:

One way to get it into line 11 on the Sched C is to use the "Forms" option.  If you bring up Schedule C you can enter the amount expended for Contract Labor directly into line 11.

Hope this helps.

SimonT

(Tax Advisor)

Valued Pioneer

How do you use and access the "forms option"??  I

Valued Pioneer

I have the premium option and I cannot find where to enter Contract Labor. Its insanely frustrating.  SO I just put in "other expenses, even though its over 100,000???

Tax Pro

Hi TccBullets,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

This contract labor needs to be on the appropriate line.  A $100,000 expense in the other expenses section will raise a big red flag for the IRS.

The question about contract labor will come up in the interview if you have the premium version of the software or better.  For further assistance you'll need to call support at 1-800-HRBLOCK.  We are all volunteers at the community level and we do not have access to the desktop software to troubleshoot things for you.  If you're using the online software though I may be able to help you figure this one out.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

Thank you.  I seems to me that there has to be an easier way to access line 11, last year it was easy, this year...man I'm tearing my hair out on the one.  I am using the Premium software online, but thankfully have an appointment in a few days.  I really would like to just be done so they only have to review it. though.  If you know how to access Forms directly via the Premium package that would be most helpful.  Thank you