DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Pioneer

Re: CA State issue with incomplete W-2

HI all,

I just chatted with a representative for H&R Block. They explained to me that the error with my CA W-2 is being caused by an FLI I have in Box 14 of  New Jersey W-2. I have no idea why this is the case, but that was his conclusion. I'll probably just file my CA return at ftb.ca.gov.

Hope this helps.

Pioneer

I would also like to add myself to the list of people this is not working for.

Tried the steps, still does not work

CA W-2 has 15-17 with no thing in 18-20 filled out. 

Even with deleting information and filling out the W-2 again, still get the same error

Valued Pioneer

OP here.  I got the error after I manually entered values in Box 14.   This is not required for CA.   Delete the data in Box 14 and your error should go away.

Pioneer

I got tired of waiting for a response from H&R.

I tried multiple things and finally made it work.

The error was not on the CA return (as it was stated on the issue warning) but on my NY return.

What I did is to manually add box 14 and choose OTHER for the field.

Hope this work for the rest of you!

Pioneer

I am getting this same error. I have no info for the 14 box, so i skipped this part. Then, in 15-20, I have two separate rows:

First Row: The fields are blank from 15-17. Then it lists amounts for 18, 19, 20 for (MH) in my same state.

Second Row: has the information listed including the state from 15-16.  17 is blank. Then information is also listed for 18, 19, 20 for OCC. 

Basically, both are deductions from the same state but the MH portion is mostly blank. The website will not accept blank fields. I added these as two separate entries exactly as they were listed and the website will not allow me to proceed. Instead, it provides the following error:

"Error: Please review the following issues
  • Complete the state information in Boxes 15-17 or delete your entries in Boxes 18-20.
  • Complete the state information in Boxes 15-17 or delete your entries in Boxes 18-20."

I have tried following the steps multiple times exactly as given by HRB Ashley. No resolve.

I tried switching browsers (Safari and Firefox) and clearing cache and cookies, no resolve.

I know I am not to enter zeros in these fields because I'm supposed to leave them blank, exactly as my W2 has it listed. I would hate to think that this site is trying to force people to enter information that isn't listed just so that it can work properly and let you continue.

At this point in time, I need a resolution from a HRB Agent. Otherwise, I will have to try another filing site that isn't with HRB. I find it kind of offputting that there were no responses to the other members who were not able to resolve this, for over a month now. Help would be greatly appreciated.