DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

CA State issue with incomplete W-2

Hi,

I get the following message in the Accuracy Review Results:

California State Issues

CA - Your state and local information is incomplete on 1 or more of your W-2s.  Make sure Boxes 15-17 are complete and remove any locality information if Boxes 18 and 19 are blank or 0.

Boxes 15-17 are complete, Boxes 18, 19 and 20 are blank.

Can anyone help figure out why this isn't being accepted?

Thanks!
Tax Pro

Re: CA State issue with incomplete W-2

Hi arnair73,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

If you have the name of a locality entered on your W-2 then you have to enter you local wages (wages earned within that locality) and any withholdings you have for that locality as well.  The software will not accept blanks or zeroes if you have the name of a school district or county or other identifying information for a locality entered.

This could be coming from your general information or from your W-2 on the federal return.  You're positive there is no locality information on the W-2 in the software right?  Especially in Box 20?  What city do you live in?  If you live in a locality that imposes an income tax then boxes 18, 19, and 20 must be completed.

The other possibilities here are that you mis-checked something in the interview or that the software isn't working correctly.  But let's see if we can figure this out first.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Highlighted

Hi, I just figured it out.   I had added CA SUI in the section above and after removing that entry the error is gone.

Tax Pro

Glad you were able to figure this one out.

I'll be here if you need anything else.

Louis