DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

Re: Backdoor Roth

When you complete step 11 by entering all info from the 1099-R, that is what causes the error and it will not save the entries with that error.

William Carlson
Highlighted
Valued Pioneer

I am having the same problem with the error about having an entry in 2a.  This is noted all over the Community and I haven't found anyone that's landed on an answer that works.

William Carlson
Valued Pioneer

bc8434 - I talked to a tax professional staffed at H&R Block and they informed me the correct way was to ignore your paper form and just leave 2a blank.  They calculate the taxable amount elsewhere.

Very disappointing and unintuitive.

I filed with Turbo Tax this year after struggling with H&R Block's declining quality.  When I entered my 1099-R and back-door roth there it made a lot of sense and everything went as expected.