DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Pioneer

American Opportunity Credit Question

Hello, 

I work full time and was enrolled in school full time for 1 term in 2016. My Tuition was $1732 and my books were $99. I received a $919 reimbursement from my employer.

The software online is telling me that the Credit will only save me $437 and I don't understand why I don't qualify for at least the portion of my tuition that was not reimbursed by my employer ($813). The software is telling me I am receiving a credit of $262 for the American Opportunity and $175 for the Refundable American Opportunity Credit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: American Opportunity Credit Question

Hi dlindemyer,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The American Opportunity Credit is not dollar for dollar, but rather it is calculated based in part on your eligible expenses.  60% of the credit is non-refundable and 40% is refundable, so your credit will always be split in the refundable and non-refundable portions.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)