DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Highlighted
Pioneer
Accepted Solution

After 15 years of using taxcut personal and business I cannot fathom not being able to get 2016 tax

For  more than 15 years I have been using TAXCUT software to do my taxes and my LLC taxes last five.

So I purchase a new computer this year and install Premium Business as normally done. There is no way to export Business returns or data like personal *.T* files?  from old system. What moron decided this? 

Your software for business is not the easiest but it worked and was affordable with Personal taxes included.

So I called support they say nope no data export from Business Software like old versions.

Can I install new software version on old computer and get data into software ? Nope you have to reenter all the Business data from one to this new software.

Again moronic in the day of H&R Block using AI to help create new customers and new business I guess the refund will be my choice for getting out of this nightmare,

Unless the community has any ideas?

Bryan

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: After 15 years of using taxcut personal and business I cannot fathom not being able to get 2016

You are able to import business returns from one year to the next. However, you must have the prior-year business program installed on your current computer.

First, on your old computer you will need to create a backup file:

Steps to Backup:

1. Open H&R Block Business.
  2. Select the File menu in the top left corner of the screen.
  3. Click Open Saved Return.
  4. Select the return to open.
  5. Click Open.
  6. Once the selected return opens, select the File menu in the top left corner of the screen.
  7. Click Backup Return.
  8. Type a name for the return. (This will default with the current return name.)
  9. Choose a folder in which to store the file from the Save in list. This can be anywhere on your hard drive, except for the H&R Block Business XXXX (where XXX is the tax year) folder. (We recommend the desktop so that it's easy to locate and transfer.)
  10. Click Save.

Note: The format of the backup file is the return name.atx (for example, my1065.atx). This backup return can be transferred to a removable storage device such as a CD or flash drive and then to another computer if necessary.

Next you will need to install the old Business program on the new computer. If you no longer have access to the disc, please let me know or call 1-800-HRBLOCK and they can assist you.

Once the old Business program is installed on the new computer you will need to restore your backup:

Steps to Restore:

1. Open H&R Block Business.
  2. Select the File menu in the top left corner of the screen. 
  3. Click Restore Return.
  4. Locate and select the ATX file.
  5. If you've installed H&R Block Business on a new computer, with the backed up file open, click File and Save to save the return to the new computer. 

Once completed, you can import the prior-year return following these steps:

1. Open H&R Block Business.
  2. From the File menu, choose Import Last Year's Tax Data.
  3. Choose the correct option:
    • For example: To import from a 2013 return, choose the 2013 Returns tab at the very bottom of the window.
    • To import from a prior period, choose the Last Month / Quarter tab at the very bottom of the window.
  4. Check the return name, and click Next.

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO