DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

Add supported Federal Form

I need to fill out a form (2555EZ) that is listed as supported version (Deluxe), but the system is trying to make me fill out (2555).

How do I manually set it to use 2555EZ instead?

Valued Pioneer

Re: Add supported Federal Form

I've filled out the 2555 form, but it does not appear to be affecting my total return/due.

Is the form actually smart enough to not apply the exclusion credit until the "physical presence test" end date has passed?

I'm expecting to see an amount on the "Form 2555 Foreign earned income exclusion" overview box under Income, but it's blank.

Tax Pro

Hi Lodlaiden,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

You have to actually meet the physical presence test before you can exclude foreign income.

If you were only in a foreign country for the last two months of last year for instance then you cannot exclude income for 2016.  However, those two months count toward your 330 days for meeting the physical presence test for your 2017 tax return.  So if you were in that country for a total of more than 330 days including last November and December at the end of 12 months from when you entered the other country then you'll meet the physical presence test for 2017.

When you did you enter and return from your foreign country?

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

I understand and meet the requirements for the physical presence test (Jun-Jun, with only 2 weeks stateside).

For personal clarity, I have filled out both the 2555EZ and 2555 manually to validate the values to enter.

The website doesn't allow manual selection of the 2555EZ.

I have ensured proper entries in all of the fields that were required for the calculations in the manual forms.

I'm trying to black box diagnose why it is not modifying my AGI based upon the values entered in the 2555 form, but it hasn't given me any errors/warnings. I thought it was possibly due to the end date of the physical presence test being in the future, but after sliding the dates back to May-May, there was not change in my return.

Thanks,

Lodlaiden

Valued Pioneer

LouisH wrote:

If you were only in a foreign country for the last two months of last year for instance then you cannot exclude income for 2016.  However, those two months count toward your 330 days for meeting the physical presence test for your 2017 tax return.  So if you were in that country for a total of more than 330 days including last November and December at the end of 12 months from when you entered the other country then you'll meet the physical presence test for 2017.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Louis,

That is not entirely accurate. If you work outside the US for 330 of 365 [consecutive] days, you're eligible to take a percentage of the deduction based upon the income made while working outside the US and based on the number of days you were working overseas.

From the IRS help file for 2555EZ

----------------

Line 2a. To figure 330 full days of presence, add all separate periods you were present in a foreign country during the 12-month period in which those days occurred. The 330 full days can be interrupted by periods when you are traveling over international waters or are otherwise not in a foreign country. See Pub. 54 for more information and examples.

Line 2b. The 12-month period on which the physical presence test is based must include 366 days, part of which must be in 2016. The dates may begin or end in a calendar year other than 2016.

----------------

After several lengthy and helpful discussions with support, I found the root of my issue:

Your date range to base the physical presence test upon must be entered as a full calendar year.

I had entered 6/18/16 to 6/2/17, but the system wanted 6/18/16 to 6/18/17 with an extra "visit" from 6/2/17-6/18/17 to black out those days for the calculation.

HTH,

Lodlaiden