DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

AGI

Last year, my wife and I filed married filing separately. This year, we are filing jointly. Since we filed separately last year, it seems like we each have to enter our own AGI from last year. However, the H&R Block software only gives me one spot to enter the AGI. I've tried entering my AGI, then my wife's, then the combiner AGI but they all get rejected. Any idea how to fix this so I'm able to list both of our AGIs from last year?
Tax Pro

Re: AGI

Hi talkalot24,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

There are two options.  First, you can create an e-file PIN and tell the software you're filing for the first time.  The other option is to file at an H&R Block office so that you won't need a PIN.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

How do you create the PIN?
Valued Pioneer

I have the exact same issue, and even went through a miserable experience retrieving our transcripts from the IRS.  No matter what I put in the single AGI field, it gets rejected.  I'm vexed.

In the last attempt I used my 2015 AGI since I'm apparently the primary filer, and the rejection response was:

Rejection Code: 32-FD-IND-032-03
Your Spouse's Prior Year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Prior Year E-Filing PIN Doesn't Match the IRS
Records

So I second talkalot24's question - what in the world should we enter in the AGI field to get this to work?

Valued Pioneer

I just got the latest rejection, from an attempt using our combined married filing separately AGIs.

Rejection Code: 32-FD-IND-031-03
Your Prior-Year Adjusted Gross Income or PIN Doesn't Match the IRS Records

I also note that there is nowhere on the Your 2015 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) screen to enter a PIN besides the 2015 AGI field.  If I'm to enter a PIN, assuming I can obtain one, whose should it be - mine or my spouse's?

im having the same issue did you find out how to make it work? have been on phone with hrblock for 4 hours now and the 4 people i have spoke with were clueless on how to handle it also that wifes agi doesnt match our records from last year and they are also clueless on that too

Valued Pioneer

Nope. I spent hours on the phone with H&R Block and the IRS and was told I needed to send in the return via mail. So that's what I did.

[ Edited ]

Did anyone find a fix for this issue? I am having the same problem and h&r block is of no help.

Valued Pioneer

No solution. Had to print and mail my return for the first time in 18 years. HR Block was basically unresponsive and unhelpful.