DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer

2017 CD Error Message 'Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.'

[ Edited ]

I've tried for the past 2 days to install each of 2 cds I received in the mail from H&R Block on my Windows 7 32 bit O.S. laptop.  I've used this same computer with H&R Block software since tax year 2014 with no installation issues.

After installing the cd, it won't start automatically so I have to select my computer then select the cd and select run.

Next, a window pops up and asks me if I will allow the program to make changes on my computer.  After I select yes, an error message box pops up titled Microsof.NET framework.

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.  If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.

I click continue and the error message box pops up again, etc, etc, etc.

I only have 3 days to complete my complex return and I don't have time to troubleshoot a defective program.  Any help will be most appreciated. 

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: 2017 CD Error Message 'Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.'

Try right-clicking on the CD and selecting run as administrator. 

If this does not resolve your issue, please contact us at 1-800-HRBLOCK so we can go through the additional troubleshooting steps necessary to resolve this error.

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO
Valued Pioneer

Re: 2017 CD Error Message 'Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.'

[ Edited ]

Thanks Matthew.  I already called and was greeted by an automated voice which asked me several questions, then directed me to this website.

Associate (Pioneer)

If you ask to speak to a live agent while in the automated voice, it will transfer you.

- Matthew
Valued Pioneer

I spoke with a customer service representative who had me change the startup menu on my laptop.  She was unable to get it working properly and escalated the issue to another service representative.  After being on hold for 40 minutes I was disconnected.  When I called back it was after 9 pm eastern time and  I received a message that the technical department was closed.

As a result of the first service representative's ineptitude, my laptop no longer functions properly and I can't use the system restore to go back to earlier settings.  It will no longer pick up a wifi signal to use the internet.

This is totally unacceptable. 

Highlighted
Associate (Pioneer)

Please private message me your name and a contact number and I will have someone reach out to you regarding this issue.

- Matthew