DIY Products

DIY Products

Whether you’re an experienced do-it-yourselfer or doing your own taxes for the first time, this is your place to learn and share. Here you’ll find information and resources for using H&R Block’s online and software DIY solutions. You’ll also find links to more information to assist you on your DIY journey.

Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

1099-R Showing Erroneous/Blank Entries on NY State Return

After entering 1099-R data on the Federal Interview Screens for an IRA Distribution, data display erroneously as blanks or zeroes on my NY State Return.  Federal Interview Screens were also done for a Roth Conversion, since this Distribution is part of the Conversion and the Federal Interview Screens so prompted.  This was the third 1099-R, the prior two being for pension and 401(k). 

The following fields have data and they were entered as shown on the 1099-R:  Payer's name and address, Payer's federal id number, Recipient's id number, Recipient's name and address, Account number, and boxes:  1 (gross distribution), 2a (taxable amount), 2b (both boxes have "X"), 4 ($0.00), 7 (both code "7" and "X") and 12 ($0.00).

The following boxes had no data so they were not entered:  3, 5, 6, 8, 9a, 9b, 10,11, FATCA, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17.

When I did the Accuracy Check it asked for the State box to be filled-in directly in the highlighted area of the form, which displayed below the message on the screen.  So I entered "NY" (without the quotes). 

When I printed my NY State Return, boxes 1 (gross distribution) and 2a (taxable amount) were zero.  All other boxes except State were blank (recipient's id, payer's name and address, payer's federal id, account number, 2b (both boxes), 7, 9a, 11, 16) or were also zero ( 3, 9b, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17).  State box has "NY," which is correct.

These are some serious errors.  And, I think they will trigger an audit.

Guidance on a recommended course of action is requested.  Thanks!

Associate (Pioneer)

Re: 1099-R Showing Erroneous/Blank Entries on NY State Return

We will need to research this further. Please give us a call at 1-800-HRBLOCK or chat with us by following the instructions in the link below so we can further assist you.

https://community.hrblock.com/t5/DIY-Products/How-can-I-access-chat/td-p/98774#.WtSw_4jwbGg

- Matthew
Business Analyst, Kansas City, MO
Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Matthew.  I contacted Support for the Desk-Top version (using Deluxe +State under Windows 10).

Here's the process we followed and the results:

1. Navigated to State Tab --> Forms.  Highlighted the "1099-R Worksheet" entry and double-clicked on it.
  2. Drop-down appeared for Copy 1.  No other selections were available.  Clicked on it.  The worksheet appeared with all 3 1099-R forms listed in this copy.  The first 2 were good: the forms copied accurately.  The 3rd one (which is the one of concern described above in the first post of this thread) had the problem of blank and zeroed fields (also described above in the first post).
  3. Navigated to Federal Tab --> Forms.  Highlighted the "1099-R Worksheet" entry and double-clicked on it.
  4. Drop-down appeared for Copy 1, Copy 2, and Copy 3.  All 3 were good: the forms carried by the program accurately reflected the entered data.
  5. Again, navigated to State Tab --> Forms.  Highlighted the "1099-R Worksheet" entry and double-clicked on it.
  6. Now, the drop down appeared for Copy 1, Copy 2, and Copy 3.  This time all copies were good: the forms copied accurately.
  7. However, the printout failed to print accurately and had the same erroneous characteristics as originally described.
  8. I was assured the e-file version will correctly and accurately transmit.

Discussion:

1. I e-file, so I am set to proceed.
  2. For those who need a printed version, it was suggested to print the form using a "PDF approach."  I will attempt that and report back.
  3. There is a bug in the program logic that needs discovery and repair, as an erroneous printout is very disconcerting to say the least.  Also, if other state programs are patterned on this one, then they are suspect as well and should be examined.  I make these comments through the eyes of a customer and would ask that appropriate folks in the H&R Block organization consider these suggestions accordingly.
  4. I went back and reviewed my NY State 2016 Return, as it was constructed the same way.  The print symptoms appeared there, too.  And, the internal 1099-R form carried by the software was a single copy with the 3 1099-R entries embedded in it, just like this year.  I have not been audited, even though the e-file system reported back that the State accepted the return.  I am hoping the return is ultimately accepted.  This could be the case since the financial institution generating the 1099-R also sends a copy to the taxing authorities.

Valued Pioneer

Thanks, Matthew.  I contacted Support for the Desk-Top version (using Deluxe +State).

Here's the process we followed and the results:

1. Navigated to State Tab --> Forms.  Highlighted the "1099-R Worksheet" entry and double-clicked on it.
  2. Drop-down appeared for Copy 1.  No other selections were available.  Clicked on it.  The worksheet appeared with all 3 1099-R forms listed in this copy.  The first 2 were good: the forms copied accurately.  The 3rd one (which is the one of concern described above in the first post of this thread) had the problem of blank and zeroed fields (also described above in the first post).
  3. Navigated to Federal Tab --> Forms.  Highlighted the "1099-R Worksheet" entry and double-clicked on it.
  4. Drop-down appeared for Copy 1, Copy 2, and Copy 3.  All 3 were good: the forms carried by the program accurately reflected the entered data.
  5. Again, navigated to State Tab --> Forms.  Highlighted the "1099-R Worksheet" entry and double-clicked on it.
  6. Now, the drop down appeared for Copy 1, Copy 2, and Copy 3.  This time all copies were good: the forms copied accurately.
  7. However, the printout failed to print accurately and had the same erroneous characteristics as originally described.
  8. I was assured the e-file version will correctly and accurately transmit.

Discussion:

1. I e-file, so I am set to proceed.
  2. For those who need a printed version, it was suggested to print the worksheet using a "PDF approach."  I will attempt that and report back.
  3. There is a bug in the program logic that needs discovery and repair, as an erroneous printout is very disconcerting to say the least.  Also, if other state programs are patterned on this one, then they are suspect as well and should be examined.  I make these comments through the eyes of a customer and would ask that appropriate folks in the H&R Block organization consider these suggestions accordingly.
  4. I went back and reviewed my 2016 return, as it was constructed the same way.  The print symptoms appeared there, too.  And, the internal 1099-R form carried by the software was a single copy with the 3 1099-R entries embedded in it, just like this year when the problem was discovered and pursued.  I have not been audited, even though the e-file system reported back that the State accepted the return.  I am hoping the return is ultimately accepted.  This could be the case since the financial institution generating the 1099-R also sends a copy to the taxing authorities.