Can I claim my foster child or adopted child as a dependent?

0 Kudos
Started ‎08-11-2017 by
Modified ‎08-11-2017 by

You can claim a foster child dependent or adopted child dependent if the child was placed with you by one of these: 

  • An authorized placement agency 
  • Judgment, decree, or other court order 

You can claim an adopted child if the adoption has been legally finalized. Adopted and foster children are treated the same as biological dependents for tax purposes.