All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-16-2018
Accepted Solution

tuition for non-dependent

My question is: how to get the credit for paying for college tuition & fees for a (full time student) 18 yr old child that my ex claims as a dependent?  The child (unmarried & did not provide more than ½ of their own support) lived with me for 8 months and was at college for 4 months.  But the divorce decree has the other parent claiming child as a dependent.  

Council Member
Posts: 548
Registered: ‎04-06-2016

Re: tuition for non-dependent

Unfortunately, the parent claiming the child as a dependent is the one eligible to claim any education credits regardless of who actually paid the expenses.


See page 28 of Pub 17, , for the section labeled "Children of divorced or separated parents" that begins near the middle of the page, for more info about what happens in your situation when the non-custodial parent is claiming the dependent's exemption (not directly related to education credits, but may still be useful).