All Things Tax

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-23-2014

tax filing

my mother in law and husband live with me , my husband doesnt work and my mother in law draws social security, can i

claim both of them on my taxes?.



Associate (Neighbor)
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎04-08-2013

Re: tax filing

Even if your husband does not work, it is not appropriate to claim him as a dependent.  You would file Married Filing Jointly and you would take an exemption for both of you.  If you are providing over half of your mother-in-law's support and she has lived with you all year, and no one else can claim her, then you can claim her as a dependent.  Her social security income will likely not be taxable and won't count toward the $3900 threshold limit for a dependent.