All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Neighbor

Re: social security disability for dependent

Since you receive a SSA-1099 that tells me that the money is coming from Social Security and taxable up to 85% for your husbands.  The 1099 for your son will have his Social Security Number on it and would only be taxable if he has other income high enough to make it taxable. In your original post you said you entered the income on a 1099-G and that made me think that you did not receive any SSA-1099. If you have included your son's income in prior years, you can go back as far as the 2014 return and amend them to receive any taxes you paid on the extra reported income.  There is a type of income from SSI that is never taxable but they do not issue 1099's for that. 

Highlighted
Trusted Council Member

JulieIT1959,

I apologize if I confused you.  I was referring to social security income with the acronym SSI, not supplemental security income.

Tax Pro

[ Edited ]

It is not always a flat 85% taxable.

Say the only income received by that spouse ( who lived with the spouse sometime during the year)  is SS disability of $20000. (. No other income) only 1/2 of the $20000 would be taxed at 85%. Since it is more than $4050 he will be required to file a tax return. 

MFS and did not live with spouse at all during the year calculates taxable SS the same as a single person using the excludable amount.

BettyB
Sr. Tax Analyst
Tax Pro

[ Edited ]

If your husbands SS number is on the form, it is his income. If your sons SS number is on the form it is His income.

BettyB
Sr. Tax Analyst