All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer

social security disability for dependent

My husband receives social security disability income and then dependent income for our son. I work a W-2 job and we file jointly. I make enough that we have to pay 85% in taxes for his benefits. Last year on the HR Block filing I broke it out showing two separate 1099-G forms & paid taxes on both sources of income. I just want to make certain that was the correct thing to do. Tans if not do I file an amendment for last year? 

Trusted Council Member

Re: social security disability for dependent

Hi crabjab,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

What do you mean by dependent income?  If there is income coming in that is in your son's name, or if your son is earning income, then that is his income and it should be reported by him on his own tax return.  If we're talking about income from the government to help support your son then that's different.  I just want to be sure on this because if the income is actually your son's income then it is not taxable to you and shouldn't be reported on your tax return.

Other than that, at least from what you've told me here, you're doing everything correctly.  Your husband's SSI income is full taxable if you earn enough other income.

There is one possibility here.  Have you compared filing jointly with filing separately?  If you file separately then the disability income would not be taxable (assuming that it is your husband's only income).  You will not be eligible for the EIC if you file separate returns, but if you earn enough income you can't claim earned income credit anyway.  I can do a ballpark comparison of the two filing options for you if you would like.  I would just need to know your income amounts and how old your dependent is (so that I know which tax benefits he qualifies you for).

There are also tax calculators on both the H&R Block website and the IRS website that you can use.

You're also welcome to take your tax return(s) to a tax professional for a second look review.  That is free, but it will cost you a little bit if they actually amend anything.  It could be worth it though.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

SSI is not taxable, and you should not receive any 1099 forms. If you receive a SSA-1099 than that is taxable up to 85%. The amount you receive for your child is not reportable on your taxes and if that is all he the income he has, it is not taxable and no return is needed. 

Trusted Council Member

crabjab,

Just a quick correction & expansion on the SSI part of this.  Social security income can be up to 85% taxable, however, it is possible that only 50%, 15%, or 0% of your husband's social security will be taxable.  It depends on how much other income you have.  Once I have income figures I can calculate that for you as well.  This will only affect you on a joint return since both of your incomes would add into the joint income amount.

If filing separately your husband would not need to file a tax return unless he has voluntary withholdings to claim a refund of.

Highlighted
Associate (Neighbor)

A comment on the taxability of the social security income:

If the filing status is MFS, the taxable social security income is a flat 85% of the SS payment, no matter how much or how little other income the taxpayer receives.  Check out the social security worksheet on this issue.

Simon Tung

(Tax Preparer)

Trusted Council Member

crabjab,

Disregard the last line on my most recent post.  Not sure where my head is today.  SimonT is correct on SSI when filing separately.

MFJ is almost always the better choice, but again let me know if you would like the comparison on the MFS and MFJ filing statuses for your situation and I'll gladly do that for you.

Valued Pioneer

[ Edited ]

What I mean is my husband is disabled & receives social security disability. Because my son is 11 years old my husband receives an additional amount for my son. I earn W-2 wages that require us to pay 85% on my husband’s income, for that I am certain. Where I am not clear is if we are required to also pay taxes on the additional amount he receives for our son. Nothing I have read makes it clear. We receive separate deposits and separate 1099-SSAs. 

I will file MFJ because that is the best option all the way around for us. 

Trusted Council Member

Hi crabjab,

Thank you for clarifying on the additional amount for your son.  It comes down to whose name the additional SSI income is in.  I'm guessing it's in your son's name because there's a second 1099-SSA being received.

If the additional benefit is in your son's name then it's actually considered to be his income even though his dad receives it for him, it is not taxable because it is your son's only income, and it does not need to be reported on a tax return.

If the additional benefit is in your husband's name then, although it may be given to him to help take care of your son, it is your husband's income.  It is taxable along with his other social security income, and it should be reported on your joint tax return.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis

Neighbor

LouisH you keep using SSI when what she receives is Social Security income because of an disability. SSI is Supplemental Security Income the 2 are not the same. SSI is never taxable. Someone on SSI will not receive an 1099.

Valued Pioneer

So Julie are u saying the income that makes husband receives for my son as part of the disability is or is not taxable sonce we receive a 1099-SSA? Because now I am still confused and I consider myself a pretty intelligent person.