All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

"Not required to file" question

My elderly father's income has been below the threshold for filing for the past several years. The H&R Block Tax software confirms this. Even though it hasn't been required, we have still continued to file because my father fears that the IRS won't know why he isn't filing and they will come after him. Quite frankly, I think it's a good thing to worry about.  He thinks there should be a form (not the tax form) that he should sign and send to the IRS declaring that he doesn't need to file. My questions.... does the IRS already know that he doesn't need to to file?   Is there a "letter of declaration" he needs to submit?

Associate (Neighbor)

Re: "Not required to file" question

Hello, JLogie, and welcome to the community.

Although I understand your concern, there should be no issues with your father not filing a return.  I can certainly echo your wish for a simple form that could be submitted stating that income falls below the filing threshold - that would be a nice little peace of mind for anyone who is in a similar situation.

I wouldn't be concerned about not filing a return - if the IRS were to send a letter wanting to know why he didn't file, it would be a very simple process to show copies of any income statements that would verify that he was not required to file a return.

Hope that helps!

-kurt

Council Member

The IRS gets copies of any 1099s, W-2s, or other income statements that your father would get, so they'll know that his income is below the filing limit and won't question him. If the income documents they receive show that he did have enough to file and didn't then they might contact him to find out why, but as long as his income was below the amount of his exemption plus his standard deduction there's no reason for him to worry.  

The only case that he might want to file a return when his income is below the threshold would be if he had any tax withheld from any of his income sources.  Filing a return would allow him to get any withholding taxes refunded.  (If he hasn't been filing and would have received a refund of withholding you can go back and file the last three years of returns to get that money.)

Karen

Valued Pioneer

Thank you!! 

Valued Pioneer

Thank you!!