All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

publicatio 915 spanning multiple years

I won my ss back in Jan so retro goes back to 2011. With the worksheets what data do i actually put inot worksheet 2, do I have do multiple sheets if so what data needs to go in line 1? any help with these will be much appreciated. Please don't refer me to the useless IRS website there example is across 2 years yeah tahts easy, mine is across 5 years.

Alumni Associate

Re: publicatio 915 spanning multiple years

Hello warloklrd.  Welcome to The Community.

You need to complete a separate worksheet 2 for each year you received retroactive Social Security benefits for.  In your case it appears to be one worksheet 2 for 2011, one for 2012, one for 2013, etc.  On your Form 1099-SSA that you received from the Social Security Administration, there is a breakdown providing the amount of SS benefits received for each year.  This represents the amount (for each year respectively) that you would enter on line 1 on each worksheet.

I hope this helps to answer your question.  Good luck to you.

WillMc1
Tax Professional (Retired)
Pioneer

I received a social security disability lump sum in 2017 that included amounts from 2016 & 2015.  I'm having trouble understanding Publication 915 worksheet 2 lines 7 and 20.  

7.  Enter your taxable benefits for the earlier year that you previously reported

20.  Enter your taxable benefits for the earlier year

How do I determine these two answers?  

Pioneer

I ran lots of Google searches to find help filling out worksheets 1-4 on IRS Publication 915 but no success.  I found that TurboTax includes the Publication 915 worksheet calculation in the software.  Although I already purchased H&R Block tax software, I purchased TurboTax last night and it ran all the calculations after I answered the interview questions.

Problem solved.