All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer

part-year resident in two states, W-2 boxes 15-20

Hi, thanks in advance for any help on tax day!

I'm confused by some information on my W-2.  I work in Kansas City, Missouri.  I lived in Kansas until May 2016 and then moved to Kansas City, Missouri for the rest of 2016.  I got what appears to be one "federal filing copy" of my W-2, and two state/city/local filing copies (presumably one for Kansas and one for Missouri)--all on one document essentially. 

On my federal filing copy, there are two lines for Kansas and Missouri starting in Box 15. 

Following those lines, for Kansas:

Box 16 (state wages) - NO amount listed

Box 17 (state income tax) - very small amount ($6) 

Box 18 (local wages) - full gross wages amount listed (equivalent to federal)

Box 19 (local income tax) - amount listed

Box 20 (locality) - Kansas City Missouri is listed

For Missouri:

Box 16 (state wages) - full gross wages amount listed (equivalent to federal)

Box 17 (state income tax) - amount listed

Box 18 (local wages) - NO amount listed

Box 19 (local income tax) - NO amount listed

Box 20 (locality) - NO locality listed

Is this correct?  On my separate state/city/local filing copies, there is a copy of the W-2 that has ALL amounts and information listed for the Missouri copy (including full amounts for local wages (box 18) and local income tax (box 19), and the locality of Kansas City, Missouri (box 20)), and for Kansas, the copy seems to ONLY list the very small amount for state income tax noted above ($6). 

Just confused what I should put in for boxes 18-20 for Missouri on the federal return -- seems like there should be amounts/information on the Missouri line as that's where the income was generated?  Do I put the same amounts/information on both lines for both states? 

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide!!

Best,

kc24kc

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer

Re: part-year resident in two states, W-2 boxes 15-20

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated -- it's the last thing to clear for me!!  I've been trying to get through by phone, but have not been able to connect yet