All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Valued Pioneer
Accepted Solution

mileage deduction for construction workers

I have a question about the mileage deduction.

I work in the construction trades, and am never at the same job site more than a year. Generally it's 3-6 months per project. 
I have never itemized before, as I can never come up with enough deductions to exceed the standard deduction (but then, I've never hired a professional to help me figure deductions, either). But this year I'm thinking about it, as I'm talking with my coworkers, and they are saying that they take a mileage deduction on their taxes. 

What they are telling me is that they deduct the miles distance from the company office to the job site, and that the job sites are considered temporary work locations because we're not at the site more than a year. 

Now, I don't drive to the company office each morning, I go to the job site. In example, it's 136 miles round trip from my house to a project I was on this year, and 96 miles round trip from the company office to that same job site. Can I deduct the 96 miles each day? I have kept a calendar of where I worked each day this year, and can show the mileage easily by using google maps. It's 48 miles from my house to the company office. 

Without a mileage deduction, it's not quite worth itemizing. But with a mileage deduction, it would be worth it. 

(I will definitely be hiring someone to help me with my taxes this year, as my income is more complex than previous years. All I've ever filed before was a 1040ez.)  

Tax Pro

Re: mileage deduction for construction workers

Hi JeffL,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

Yes, you can deduct your mileage.

In fact, because you know that your job is temporary you can deduct your miles from home to the job site, so you can actually deduct all 136 miles for the one job that you mentioned.

If you were to drive to the company office from home though that trip would not be deductible because that can be considered your tax home.  Based on the information you provided, you'll eventually go there or report to someone there when your job ends within less than 1 year and they will tell you what and where your next temporary assignment is.  The trips to your job sites are deductible though because they are (1) temporary jobs, and (2) the trips are outside of your tax home.

You should always keep accurate records of miles driven.  Keep a ledger to record the miles in each time you drive to a temporary job site.  Although you don't have to submit any records to the IRS, this way you have written evidence to provide the IRS with if a question is ever asked.

Also, keep in mind that the mileage deduction for employees falls into the miscellaneous category on Schedule A.  Your total miscellaneous deduction amount is limited to the total of all of your miscellaneous deductions less 2% of your adjusted gross income.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

Cool thank you so much for clearing that up for me! Can I hire you to file my taxes this year? Smiley Happy I will definitely need help, as all I've ever filed was a 1040ez... I keep track of my finances via the Microsoft money program, and keep all of my receipts for money I spend...

Tax Pro

Hi JeffL,

You're quite welcome.

I would be glad to help you out.  If you're not in my area I'm sure I can help you find someone who is at an office near you.

Louis

Valued Pioneer

I live in Waverly, Kansas. 
If you could help me or give me a recommendation of a person who could help me with my taxes this year I would surely appreciate it! 

Valued Pioneer

by your answer, it tells me that I'd like to hire you for my tax preparation.  so if you can do taxes in Kansas, I'd like to hire you!

Tax Pro

JeffL,

That's great.  However, I'm all the way in Tampa, Florida.  I can do both federal and Kansas returns, but I'm pretty far from you.  So, let's see if we can find you a tax professional in Kansas.  I would choose one who has a good 10+ years of experience with the type of return that you'll have.

KANSAS OFFICES

You can also use the H&R Block software if you would like.  If you use the online software then I can help you out as you need it.

Louis