All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-12-2018

honorarium fee

I live in florida (no state tax) and received a $600 honorarium fee, but did not receive a 1099 or other tax document.  Where should I input this income?


I have the H&R Block premium version.


Thank you

Associate (Neighbor)
Posts: 212
Registered: ‎07-22-2014

Re: honorarium fee

Hello, delraydjl, and welcome to the community.


There are two possibilities that come to mind for the spot to report your honorarium income.  The one I would recommend depends on your answer to one question...  Was the honorarium received for something that you do regularly, or was it a one-time deal?


If it was a one-time deal, then I would lean toward including it on line 21 of the 1040 as "other income."


On the other hand, if it was paid for something you do (or will do) on a more-or-less regular basis, then I would add a Schedule C (self employment) to your return, and report the payment there.  Adding the Schedule C would also allow you to deduct any expanses that were associated with the honorarium income.


Hope that helps!