All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-23-2018


Hi. I am going to help  someone file with HRBLOCK online. They just purchased a house and also have home improvements receipts they would like to claim. My question is can you use online to do itemized deductions or would that have to be done in the office?

Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: filing

HI Ccatrett09,




Welcome to the H&R Block community.


You cannot deduct improvements to a property.  They add to your basis in the home.


You can deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes that you paid though.  You can also deduct assessment fees for the upkeep of public works such as sidewalks that were already in existence when you bought the house.  Finally, you can deduct points paid down, but note that if you do not meet the ten criteria to deduct them in full in the year of purchase they must be deducted over the life of the mortgage.  These deductions are all taken on Schedule A.


All of the deductions that I mentioned can be entered in the online software.




If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)