All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Pioneer

filed taxes to the wrong state

i really hope someone can push me in the right direction cause so far no matter how much time i spend on the phone with the IRS i cannot get a straight answer. 

February 2014, California, i received a large amount of money from my mothers death. i moved to Utah in June, i believe, same year. when i filed my 2014 taxes i filed them to Utah. i paid Utah's state taxes of 8,000+ and federal taxes. i did not work. i filed only because of the money i received from my mother.

four years later California says, wheres my money?? i explain to them that i moved and filed with Utah. first person i spoke with said, oh that's fine, just fax us a copy of your taxes you filed. i say ok. i faxed them for free. they were never received. i assumed they were... i get a letter saying they are now going to garnish my wages to pay for the state taxes... i call again and they say fax to this number instead. and i can never speak to the same person... so i go to fax again and i use a better place. they want to charge me $45.00 to fax... i said how about i mail them. once again i assume they were received... they were not... i get a letter saying they are going to put a lean on my house. i call again. this time a guy explains to me that i need to pay. there is no other option. he wont even listen to me and i ask to speak to his supervisor and he hangs up on me... i call Utah tax people and explain my situation. she says i need to file 2014 taxes for California. that they will let me slide on paying most of the money but i will still owe a little due to the fact that California has hire taxes.... then i just found out through a friend that i should have told California i was moving and filed something. which i never knew. ive never ever done anything like this before. i just need help!