All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Highlighted
Trusted Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Work in DC, but live in VA

I work in DC, but I live in Virginia. My understanding though is that I only pay state taxes to VA and not to DC. Is that accurate?

Tax Pro

Re: Work in DC, but live in VA

Hi hbo007,

You are correct.  The District of Columbia has a reciprocity agreement with Virginia so you should not have any Washington, D.C. withholdings.  If you do have D.C. withholdings then you'll need to file a D.C. non-resident return and enter your taxable earnings for D.C. as $0 which will result in a full refund of your withholdings.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Trusted Pioneer

Thanks! My W-2 only lists VA, and the state taxes withheld by VA; with no reference to DC withholdings on the form. So my assumption then is that if there were DC withholdings it would be listed on my W-2 right? Thanks again!

Tax Pro

Hi hbo007,

You're welcome.

Yes, if you had any D.C. withholdings they would be listed on your Form W-2.  Since you do not have any D.C. withholdings and your income is not taxable in Washington, D.C. you only need to file return for Virginia.

Louis

Pioneer

I live in VA but work in DC. I filed taxes for state of VA, however received a return adjustment for the state of VA saying my employer withheld taxes from the state of DC...What do I have to do now?