All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Where do I select 1040EZ?

I was briefly employed as an independent contractor for a company in 2017. I have some income from that that I want to enter. My situation is very simple - I'm single, no dependents, no employees, just me, but I was working for someone else. Where do I navigate to in the income section in order to select the right form for this (which I know from talking to coworkers that it should be 1040EZ)?

I initially tried navigating to employment -> freelancer/1099MISC (even though I'm missing that form), but from there no matter what I select, I end up having to input business type, whether my business was started/closed this year, and all kinds of other stuff that imply I was running a business rather than being contracted by one. How do I select the EZ form?

Also, do I need H&R Block self-employed for this?

Associate (Council Member)

Re: Where do I select 1040EZ?

Since you were an independent contractor and received a 1099 MISC you do not qualify to use the 1040 EZ (so much for

listening to coworkers!).  You will need to report your 1099 MISC income on either Schedule C or Schedule C/EZ and then

that net income will be reported on form 1040.

Good luck with filing!

Council Member

CYCLIST, I think MrLawrence said he didn't receive a 1099-MISC so I just wanted to add that your answer is still correct.  Any independent contractor income, whether reported on 1099-MISC or not, needs to be reported on Schedule C or C-EZ. 

Also, MrLawrence, be forewarned that you'll owe self-employment tax in addition to your income tax on your independent contractor income.  There are quite a few other posts in the forums discussing self-employment tax-- what it is, who has to pay it, and how it's calculated.

Karen

thw question is where is the 1040ez form in the software?

Highlighted
Associate (Council Member)

You don't "select" the 1040EZ.  The form the tax return is reported on is determined by the type of filing status, the income,

the deductions, the taxpayers age, and several other factors.   IF you meet all the requirements for a 1040EZ, then it its

put on an EZ.  Otherwise your return is reported on a 1040A or 1040.