All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Wage attachment

Hi, I used H&R Block for my recent tax prep, and received a notice from my local tax collector, indicating they would garnish my wages for unpaid earned income tax. During my recent tax prep, the agent completed federal, state, and local tax and nothing was owed for local tax. Am I able to talk to a prepare agent to support me in this? 

Tax Pro

Re: Wage attachment

JCarpenter,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

There are actually a number of possibilities here.  An error may have been made on your tax return that resulted in no tax being owed, and if that's what happened then, if you purchased "Peace of Mind" you can file a claim for the amount of the tax you owe.  The return can also be amended for free under Block's standard guarantee.  Before we go that route though, you should meet with a tax professional at an office to go over the return and the letter and see what's really going on.  There are one or two year-round offices in most areas that you can go to.

Another possibility is that the letter is a scam, although I have not heard of fake letters on the local level.  Most recent fake letters have been on the federal level.  So I'm pretty sure yours is the real deal, I just wanted to make you aware that there are fakes sent out all the time so you should always let a tax professional look at the letter before you do anything regardless of whether it came from the federal, state, or local taxing authority.

A bright side to this is that if you do owe tax and you end up having to pay it, you may not have to pay it all at once, and you may even be able to get it reduced and/or get the interest & penalties waived.  You can usually set up payments if you need to, and some states & localities such as North Carolina will also waive certain penalties & interest if you have a good record of paying your taxes & you meet their requirements (you usually have to apply for waivers).  If you get to this point you should call the phone number on the letter and let the local tax collector's office know that you were unaware of the tax being due until you got the letter, and then ask them if you can make monthly payments on your own or if there's another option for you.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Thank you for your reply! I'll reach out to my local H&R Block to schedule an appointment to discuss the letter. 

Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.