All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer
Accepted Solution

Tutor

I am an independent tutor (not with a tutor company) and I tutor a middle schooler and kindergartener. How would I report that income?

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Tutor

Hi abergie,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

The income to which you're referring is reported on Schedule C just as if you were running a business.  You're more of an independent contractor, so you can use your own name and social security number instead of entering a business name and an EIN on the Schedule C.  If you incurred any expenses (purchases of materials for instance) then you can deduct those expenses on Schedule C against the income you earned from tutoring.

Also, when you earn money as an independent contractor or a business owner it's important that you keep track of your income and know how much your expected tax liability will be because if you will owe $1,000 or more overall for the year then you have to make estimated payments four times per year.  Not making estimated payments when required results in a penalty so you want to be sure and make them if you need to.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Pioneer

Ok thank you. I am considering tutoring one of my brothers and my parents would pay me for this. Would this change anything?

Tax Pro

That would not change anything.  The income would be included with the rest of your tutoring income because you're still an independent tutor.

If you were an in-home nanny or babysitter, in which situation you would be a household employee of your parents, then it would be different and you would receive a Form W-2 from them.