All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Tax evasion

I was just pulled over and brought to the police station to sign a bail bond and warrant for Tax Evasion in 2014. I used H&R Block for my 2014 taxes, charged well over 200$. 

Now, I'm on hold while the phone reps are being rude and not answering my questions, specifically Sheldon. 

They keep telling me to call different numbers for my next step, when I was clearly told they assume all responisbilities and handle any issues after the fact. 

I've been transfered from Sheldon to Jackson that want to set up a call back appt. I have court now on Decemeber 12th for this. 

Re: Tax evasion

Now I'm on the phone with the office closest to me and "How do you expect us to take care of that? Why do you think that's our responsibility?" 

Still nobody has asked for my information, my name, what's going on. Just a lot of nonhelp and their own evasion of responisbilities. 

Trusted Council Member

Hi caithogan,

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that this has happened to you.  Since your tax return was prepared by H&R Block I'm sure that you're probably not actually guilty of tax evasion.  I would find it hard to believe that you are anyway and although we can't really help you with this in the community I will do what I can.

I'm going to put you in contact with one of our community site moderators who will be able to put you in touch with someone who can actually help you.  Watch for a private message from Jiliian.

I wish you the best with this.

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Alumni Associate

Hello caithogan.

Although I can honestly say that I've never came across a problem such as you are experiencing throughout my active career, I would like to add a couple of additional thoughts and suggestions.

Do you happen to know what it is exactly that you have allegedly evaded? A tax return not filed, income not reported, and what tax year(s) are involved? Honestly, it seems odd to be charged with tax evasion in regards to a 2014 (or even a 2013) tax return since these tax years are still "open" by statute to be able to file your original return or amend a return that you had filed. In addition to that, you most certainly would/should have received a significant amount of correspondence from the IRS requesting any unfiled tax return(s) and/or any proposed changes needing to be made to filed tax returns. If you do not know, or have not received any letters from the IRS such as I've mentioned, I would suggest you visit a local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) who would be able to provide you with details, and possibly print copies of letters you did not receive. You can find the nearest TAC office in your area by clicking on the following link:

Once you have this information, I would then suggest you bring any documents you have (including your copy of tax return(s) prepared at HR Block) into a local office for your situation to be analyzed. Then the Tax Professional(s) will be better able to assist you in resolving this problem.

I am sorry that you are experiencing this, but I hope this is helpful information. Good luck to you.
Tax Professional (Retired)

Hi caithogan,

Will's response is exactly what I would have said. The first thing you need to do is check in with your local IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC). They should be able to provide you with the information relevant to your situation and any correspondence you didn't receive. Once you have that information, H&R Block will be able to help much more effectively so please let us know what you find out.

Good luck!

Check BoxDid my reply help answer your question? Please mark it as an accepted solution by clicking on the green "Accept as Solution" button below. Thank you!