All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Valued Pioneer

Tax Return Showing Income by Spouse

Hello community,

My wife and I filed a joint tax return. However, we need to provide her student loan provider (in Sweden) a tax return/form/sheet that breaks down the income & deductions taken from each of us, separately. They essentially need to verify her portion of the income/deductions, and apparently her W-2 won't suffice. Does anyone know which form (or forms) we need to complete to get this information sent to us?

Thank you all in advance!

Highlighted
Tax Pro

Re: Tax Return Showing Income by Spouse

[ Edited ]

Hi TaxHelpPlease88,

Welcome to the H&R Block community.

So when you file a joint return financial aid goes by your joint income.  It's one of the very few downsides of filing jointly.  The only way to get around this is to file separate tax returns.  You must elect the married & filing separately status before April 15th.  Filing status cannot be changed to MFS after the tax filing deadline.

With a joint return your Forms W-2 are your source for your individual incomes.  There are no other forms that show your income other than your W-2 & other income forms and your Form 1040.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.

Louis,

Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)

Valued Pioneer

Louis,

Thank you for your reply, but it was my wife and I that filed a joint tax return.
Tax Pro

[ Edited ]

You're welcome.

I've updated the answer as I did misread the question (and I apologize).  It's kind of similar.  The only way to show individual incomes is to file individual returns, which cannot be done for 2016 at this point since you filed jointly and the filing deadline has since passed.

Valued Pioneer

I see, thank you for the assistance Louis. Will try to contact the loan provider on Sweden to explain.
Tax Pro

You're quite welcome.