All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-17-2017

Tax Payments

Had to pay $5,000.00 in 2016 to cover 2015 Taxes.  No penalty involved.  Can I deduct this payment on 2016 return?


Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Tax Payments

Hi Birdog,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.


If any part of this payment was state income tax then yes, you can deduct that part on Schedule A, Line 5.  However, federal income tax payments are not deductible unless they were made toward your 2016 (current) return.


If you made a federal payment toward your 2016 return with your 2015 return or at any time during 2016 then it is entered on your 1040 on Line 65 and is taken into account when figuring your refund or tax owed.


You may wish to have your 2015 reviewed by a tax professional.  If there was something that was done incorrectly or if there was something that you could have done but didn't do that would save you on tax then an amendment will immediately reduce the amount of tax you owed and since you already paid your tax you would get a refund of the difference from the IRS and/or state.


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)