All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-08-2017

State tax filing - non resident

My company relocated me last year starting in December and then decided to file my state taxes to the complete wrong state for that month.  How do I go about getting that money back from the state?

Tax Pro
Posts: 5,611
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: State tax filing - non resident

Hi ttQcanoer,


Welcome to the H&R Block community.


What you'll need to do is file a non-resident tax return for the state that the withholding was for in order to get a refund of the withholding.  Enter $0 for the wages earned in that state on the non-resident return if you did not actually work in that state.


If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)