All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-13-2018

Specific question about foreign earned income ; how to file properly?

[ Edited ]

I have an opportunity to write articles for a company abroad. I would get paid per article, so the monthly income flow would be variable. I was told that I would have to register as a independent contractor/sole proprietor if I were to pay taxes there, but they offered to pay me as an "independent" in the US. Their word, not mine. Not sure what this means or how this works. They do not have an office in the US. They might transfer money to my US account or mail me a check. If so, can I simply report the total amount for the year on my individual return as foreign earned income or do I have to register as an independent contractor/sole proprietor to do that? I want things to be easy. It's not a lot of money so I'd rather not have to pay to register as a sole proprietor.