All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Pioneer

Son filed on efile but selected no one can claim him as dependent

I have a question about filling out a 1040X for the following "typical?" scenario.  My son is in college.  He made a little bit of money, just over $600.  His W2 showed he paid just over $40 in federal taxes, so he went to efile.com and submitted a 1040EZ electronically.  When asked if anyone could claim him as a dependent, he said no.  He did not realize it but this was a mistake (son quote "Sorry Dad.")  

Before I understood what he had done, I went to H&RBlock and filed my tax return electronically claiming him as a dependent.  I then got the rejection stating "A dependent’s Social Security Number (SSN) on your return is the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where the Primary Taxpayer or Spouse was claimed as an exemption."

It seems as simple as filling out a 1040X for him.  And I will just print my tax return and send in the hard copies.  But I do not understand "what" to change for him on the 1040X.  My guess is that the change has something to do with 1040X line 4 comparing to his 1040EZ line 5.  He has nothing complicated at all... Adjusted Gross Income is the same as his Wages... no credits.  How do I help him amend this?

Thanks in Advance!

Highlighted
Neighbor

Re: Son filed on efile but selected no one can claim him as dependent

Line 5 on Form 1040EZ needs adjusted (according to the instruction on the back of the form) when you are claimed as a dependent.

Pioneer

This also happened to us so my daughter made the correction on her taxes and will now send in an amended return;  Amended returns take up to 16 weeks for processing. So... our tax return has been declined and I'm assuming we'll have to print ours out and mail in to IRS to file but we are wondering how this will all work with our refund if ours taxes are processed first?

Associate (Neighbor)

The change that needs to be made with his return is to eliminate the exemption.  This is line 4 of 1040X.

On a 1040ez exemption and standard deduction and grouped together ($10,350).  The exemption amount to be reduced is $4,050 for 2016.  In the scenario you described there will most likely not be a change in his taxes.

Regards,

Caleb