All Things Tax

All Things Tax

Like the title says, from the filing process and tax questions to tax policy and reform, you can search and share All Things Tax here. This is the place to find answers to all your general questions that don't fall under the other categories. And just a reminder: questions about software or online filing should be posted in DIY Products.

Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-11-2017

Self Employed Tax Deductions

Hi all,


If self employed I was wondering if you can deduct state taxes from the previous year?


Also can you deduct any fee's that you had to pay to the IRS?


Can you deduct the amount you pay in taxes from the previous year.






Trusted Council Member
Posts: 6,191
Registered: ‎02-23-2016

Re: Self Employed Tax Deductions

Hi PHdigitalmedia1,



Welcome to the H&R Block community.


If you're referring to income taxes you can deduct state taxes that you paid on your individual tax return for the year in which you paid the taxes.  So you can deduct state taxes that were paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax return.  Federal income taxes, penalties, & fees cannot be deducted, but you can enter federal income taxes that you paid during the year in the payments section of your tax return to reduce your tax owed with the return.


Likewise, a business can deduct any tax that it pays to its state or local government on its federal tax return.



If you have any other questions I'll be glad to help.



Senior Tax Advisor (Tampa, FL)